National Saving (Monthly Income Account) Scheme 2019
Use P.O. Small Saving Calculators
Use Deposit / Investment Calculators
NOTIFICATION No. G.S.R. 917(E) dated 12th December 2019
In exercise of the power conferred by Section 3 of the Government Savings Promotion Act, 1873 (5 of 1873), the Central Government hereby makes the following scheme, namely:-
NSMIS 2019 Rule 1. Short title and commencement
- (1) This Scheme may be called the National Saving (Monthly Income Account) Scheme, 2019.
- (2) It shall come into force on the date of its publication in the Official Gazette.
NSMIS 2019 Rule 2. Definitions
(1) In this scheme, unless the context otherwise requires.
- (a) "account" means an account opened under this Scheme;
- (b) "account holder" means an individual in whose name the account is held;
- (c) "Act" means The Government Savings Promotion Act, 1873 (5 of 1873);
- (d) "Form" means forms appended to this Scheme;
- (e) "General Rules" means the Government Savings Promotion General Rules, 2018;
- (f) "year" means a period of twelve months commencing from the date of deposit in the account.
(2) Words and the expressions used herein but not defined shall have the meanings respectively assigned to them in the Act and the General Rules.
NSMIS 2019 Rule 3. Opening of account
NSMIS 2019 Rule 4. Deposits and withdrawals
- (1) The account shall be opened with a minimum deposit of one thousand rupees or any sum in multiple of one thousand rupees and there shall be only one deposit in an account.
- (2) A maximum of rupees four lakh fifty thousand rupees can be deposited in a single account, account opened under clause (iii) and (iv) of paragraph 3 and nine lakhs rupees in a joint account.
- (3) Deposits in all the accounts taken together for an individual shall not exceed four lakh fifty thousand rupees in a single account and nine lakh rupees in a joint account.
NSMIS 2019 Rule 5. Interest on deposit
- (1) The deposit made under this Scheme shall bear interest at the rate of 7.6 per cent. per annum.
- (2) Interest shall be payable to the account holder on completion of a month from the date of deposit.
- (3) If the interest payable every month is not claimed by the account holder such interest shall not earn any additional interest.
- (4) Interest shall be rounded off to nearest multiple of one rupee and for this purpose any amount of fifty paisa or more shall be treated as one rupee and any amount less than fifty paisa shall be ignored.
- (5) Where a deposit in excess to the ceiling specified under sub-paragraph (2) of paragraph 4 has been made, the accounts office shall refund the excess deposit to the account holder immediately.
- (6) The excess amount referred to in sub-paragraph (5), shall carry an interest at the rate applicable from time to time to the Post Office Savings Account and shall be payable to such depositor on such amount.
- (7) The interest referred to in sub-paragraph (6) shall be admissible from the date of deposit of the excess amount till the end of the month preceding the month in which the deposit has been refunded.
- (8) If the date of payment of monthly interest falls on Sunday or a holiday, the payment shall be deemed to be due on the business day immediately preceding that Sunday or a holiday.
- (9) If the deposit is made on 29th, 30th and 31st of a month and if these dates do not come in the following month, the payment of monthly interest shall be made on the last date of the following month and if such last day is a holiday, monthly interest shall be paid on the preceding day.
NSMIS 2019 Rule 6. Premature closure of account
The account holder may be permitted to withdraw the deposit and close the account at any time after expiry of a period of one year from the date of opening of such account by making an application in Form-2, subject to the conditions that,-
- (i) if the account is closed on or before the expiry of three years from the date of opening of such account, an amount equal to two per cent. of the deposit shall be deducted and the remainder shall be paid to him; and
- (ii) If the account is closed after the expiry of three years from the date of opening of such account, an amount equal to one per cent. of the deposit shall be deducted and the remainder shall be paid to him.
NSMIS 2019 Rule 7. Closure of account
- (1) The deposit made at the time of opening of the account and the interest accrued thereupon, shall be paid by the accounts office after completion of five years from the date of the opening the account to the account holder on an application in Form-3.
- (2) In case the account holder dies before the maturity of the account, the account may be closed and the deposit shall be refunded as per provisions of the General Rules, alongwith interest upto the month preceeding the month in which refund is made.
NSMIS 2019 Rule 8. Application of General Rules
- Provisions of the General Rules shall, so far as may be, apply in relation to the matters for which no provisions have been made in this Scheme.
NSMIS 2019 Rule 9. Power to relax
- Where the Central Government is satisfied that the operation of any of the provisions of this Scheme causes undue hardship to an account holder, it may, by order for reasons to be recorded in writing, relax the requirements of that provision or provisions in a manner not inconsistent with the provisions of the Act.
Updated : Dec 16, 2019
You may like to View / Use / Download